Skip to main content

The little blog that could

When I first started this blog I was not sure what type of response I would get or how far its reach would be.  I have been overwhelmed by the positive feedback I have received and encouraged by the number of people that have shared my blog with others.  I have had quite a few friends tell me that my blog had been passed onto them from other friends who had no idea that they knew my personally.  The power of the internet and social media is amazing.  (In relation to this, I have created a Twitter account for the blog to make it easier for people to follow the blog.  I will be sure to tweet about any new blog posts.  You can follow us at: www.twitter.com/isaiahsjourney.)

I was recently contacted by a friend of a friend whose cousin's son had been hospitalized with Kawasaki disease.  When I first heard about this little boy my heart ached.  It brought back memories of Isaiah's stay at SickKids and the moments of despair and helplessness we went through. It saddened me that this little boy was going through the same ordeal as my Isaiah and that there was a possibility he may have to face the challenges that Isaiah is currently facing.  His mother contacted me by email and  thanked me "for such an inspiring story of strength, hope, and faith ~ especially during a difficult time."  I really wished that there was more I could do for her and her son, but I was thankful that I was able to at least provide some support by sharing my own personal experience and answering the few questions she had regarding Isaiah's battle with KD.

The son of one of my oldest friends was also recently hospitalized.  He was just a couple of months old and was suffering from bronchiolitis. When my friend described all the wires and tubes he was attached to I felt awful, especially because he is so young.  I wonder if the memories of Isaiah's stay at SickKids will come rushing back to me every time I hear of a child's hospitalization. It is extremely difficult to see your child suffering in the hospital, but my friend was "sucking it up" (as she put it) for her child and thanked me for being "an inspiration."

I feel so honoured that this little blog has offered some comfort and strength to families that are facing the ordeal of having a child that is in the hospital.  I am also so encouraged that the blog has been circulating and hopefully raising awareness about Kawasaki disease.  Isaiah is fighting the good fight and I am doing my best to help him win not only the battle, but also the war.

(If you are a mom/dad/aunt/uncle/other person who knows a child that you care about who is battling with Kawasaki disease and would like to learn more about my personal experience, please leave a comment and I would be happy to help you in any way that I can.  I know how scary and frustrating it can be and sometimes it helps to speak to someone that has been through the same situation.)

Comments