Skip to main content

The best Mother's Day gift

Isaiah had his one month post angiogram  follow-up echocaridogram this past Friday.  I was more nervous than usual.  In the past, I had arrived at each appointment with an optimistic attitude and unexplained confidence that everything would be fine.  This time the optimism was dulled and the confidence was not so high.  Perhaps the experience of repeatedly receiving bad news was finally taking its toll on my positive disposition.  Or perhaps I was learning to manage my expectations, so as not to be disappointed and to prepare myself for the worst.

Longest 90 minutes ever

As fate would have it, the echo clinic was running a behind that day and Isaiah did not get called until half an hour after his scheduled time.  My nervousness was growing as opposed to subsiding.  Once the technician began doing the echo I watched the screen intensely for any clues as to Isaiah's status.  It was then that I realized that I really should look into how to read an echocardiogram image.  I am sure that somewhere in the internet abyss exists a wonderful tutorial.  Otherwise, I will be enrolling myself into a cardiovascular technology program. The waiting for results is the worst.  The technician is not at liberty to discuss results, so I always try to get a "read" on them, but it never works.  I had emailed Isaiah's cardiologist that morning to let him know that we would be in that day and he told me I should email or call him when the echo was complete.  I emailed him, but did not get a response right away. so I proceeded to take Isaiah down to get his blood tested for his enoxaparin levels.

Good news at last!

I soon received a response from Isaiah's cardiologist.  He mentioned that he and the Head of Cardiology had been looking at the images as the echo was being completed.  Wow.  Talk about getting top-notch care. We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful and caring cardiologist looking out for our little guy.  According to the doctor there were no new issues.  The heart function looked good, there were no new clots that could be seen and the aneurysms had remained unchanged in size.  Finally, some good news!  I was overjoyed and relieved.  It was definitely the best Mother's Day gift I could have received.  Although we are grateful that there were no new issues, it is somewhat sad that news of no change, which equates to no improvement as well, is good news.  We continue to hope for the best and are thankful for each wonderful day spent with Isaiah. I hope that Isaiah inherits my optimism and positive outlook on life -- it will certainly serve him well on the road he must travel.

Do the Happy

I wanted to mention that SickKids is running a great campaign this month inviting everyone to Do the Happy.  "It is fun way to raise funds for research, care and learning, that will give thousands of children a better chance at a healthy and happy life."  Please visit the site to learn more about some great events and deals from many GTA companies supporting the campaign.

Doing the Happy.  Isaiah checks out the icons we purchased to honour our favourite SickKids nurses for  Nursing Week.



Comments